The U.S. Division of Homeland Protection (DHS) Science and Know-how Directorate’s (S&T) Chemical and Biological Defense Testbed system by means of a partnership with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is constructing a testbed in the New York City (NYC) subway technique to check and appraise chemical and biological agent detection technologies and agent release mitigation methods. Certain program goals include things like:
- Develop an enduring testbed in the NYC subway process to vet present-day and rising chemical and biological agent sensing systems and architectures
- Obtain sensible efficiency, functions and routine maintenance and value information in the subway ecosystem
- Appraise systems and reaction techniques to mitigate the unfold of contamination by aerosolized threats and assess overall success
- Enable real looking education routines with community stakeholder organizations
DHS S&T is issuing this Request for Details (RFI) to discover systems for integration into the testbed. The testbed will be managed and operated on behalf of DHS S&T by staff of the Massachusetts Institute of Engineering Lincoln Laboratory (MIT-LL).
Viable chemical and biological agent detection and mitigation architectures are broadly defined herein and may include stand-by itself programs or mixtures of technological innovation and treatments of the pursuing types:
- Set off sensors (the detection of chemical or biological agent-like anomalies in the ambient surroundings)
- Collectors (samplers that gather aerosols or vapors for subsequent analysis)
- Identifier/confirmer sensors (technologies that establish the chemical or biological brokers in a sample)
- Filtration (aerosol or vapor elimination, e.g., HEPA or carbon filtration, spray curtains)
- Neutralization (aerosol or vapor denaturation, e.g., ultra-violet air sanitizers)
- Response actions (variations in operations, e.g., slow trains, skip stations, evacuate, etcetera.)
- Manifold sensing or sampling techniques
Systems under analysis will be monitored underneath normal technique functioning conditions and challenged periodically with permitted simulant materials where by feasible. All details will be saved extensive term and appropriate overall performance metrics will be derived for each engineering. Fake alarm fee, probability of detection, time to detection, cost of possession together with servicing and consumable specifications, and assortment performance are representative illustrations of metrics to be identified.